Monday, November 8, 2010

By the way : Halloween at the Wildhorse

Halloween was one of the few holidays I was off work for this year (barely) so despite being half awake my boyfriend and I dragged ourselves down to the Wildhorse Saloon in downtown Nashville for some good old times. I put barely any effort at all into my Halloween costume and went as a barely recognizable Holly Golightly. We had dinner and watched an 80's cover band play. The Wildhorse is kind of a touristy place with kitschy horse statues everywhere and a gift shop on your way out so I don't really consider it to be a true representation of Nashville cuisine but it does hold a special place in my heart for two reasons 1) they played host to an AMAZING Hives show a couple years ago and 2) they have the best french fries I've ever had bar none. So instead of talking about my uninteresting ham and swiss on a soft pretzel sandwich (too sweet for me, needed some funk I think) I will simply say Wildhorse, well done. Flaky, crispy, just enough softness in the center, perfectly salted and a little bit of that freaky red sweet fry seasoning, not to mention consistency of flavor here two years later. They are a thing of wonder and will haunt my dreams I'm telling you.















Back at home we blew through a bag of Halloween candy, watched The Evil Dead and tried a round of some seasonal beer  which I'm ashamed to say I was drawn to by it's fancy packaging, I'm a sucker for anything pumpkin spice so  when I found Blue Moon Ale's Harvest Moon pumpkin spice beer I had to try it. As you might expect delicious pumpkin spice in booze format with a catchy name was just too good to be true. I have no idea what I was expecting but unless you're one of those boozy super tasters the spices they described it as having were pretty much undetectable. Mostly I found it to have the acidic bite of pale ale with kind of a warm finish which I guess is what they were trying to say was the spiced part. I'm not a huge beer drinker anyway but this wasn't anything special so in the future I think I'd skip it. The Evil Dead however was magnificent. Bruce Campbell and I are getting married. You're all invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think, or just say hello. Your comments make my day!