Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"I Think That We Should Play A Game. You Be Tarzan, I'll Be Jane"

I find myself getting a wrestling urge, and to tell you the truth I've got my eye set on someone in particular. Change. Right now Change is being a total ho and I'd like nothing better than to teach her a lesson. I know, I know that I was the one that invited (begged) Change to drop by my house for a little fun, buuut... I'm kind of over it.

She makes me work too hard. She makes my days chaotic and my pictures look fuzzy, and my voicemail inbox full.





Because of Change, I spent my entire morning on the phone to everyone who's ever worked at my soon to be culinary school. The entire morning. And guess what I got squared away?! Nothing.

In between phone calls and the leaving of voice mails, I was also trying my best to squeeze out some grainy pictures in the crummy grey low-light of an autumn drizzle... having zero luck and getting pissed.

Hey, you know what else you can call autumn? CHANGE!

Ho.

She's trying to make me sing for my supper. But I say NO! That is not how we play. You were supposed to drop by and make everything better, not force me to work it all out! Way to bum me out Change!



 


But you know what? I've got your number. I know exactly what you're trying to do. You're waiting for that big cinematic moment, when I'm all red faced and kicking and screaming. You're waiting for your cue, when the music swells and you see I'm about ready to deck you, to make that mind blowing reveal.

"Show me! WAX ON WAX OFF!" you'll scream as I'm cracking my knuckles.

And it'll hit me 'GOD, THAT is what all this was for!' then we'll laugh when I realize how far things have come. And how much better life is, blah blah blah...

But for now Change, I still think we should wrestle. Even if you are kind of my teacher, I think it would make me feel better, you know? At least... for a while...

****

Upside Down Pear Cakes


Adapted from Roost and Tartelette

Makes 12


Ingredients

4 oz butter (1 stick)
1 cup buttermilk or soured milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 caster sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup almond flour
1 2/3 cups Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour mix (or regular flour)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
11/2 tsp cinnamon

3 pears of choice, thinly sliced 
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey

1. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt and cook the butter until it starts to turn a golden brown (smell deliciously nutty) and little dark brown bits starts to form. Remove from heat, pour into a small bowl or measuring cup and let cool.

2. In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter, the sugars, and the eggs until light and fluffy. About two minutes. Add the soured milk and set aside.

3. In a separate bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly add the butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.

4. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey and the vanilla extract. Then divide out evenly between the cups of 12 greased muffin tins. Top with pear slices, then fill to the edges with the almond batter.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before turning out of the tins (so the saucy top has a little time to firm up). Serve warm or chilled.




2 comments:

  1. Great Post! Good for you for not letting the world get you down, and for making peace with change. It is a good thing to befriend, as it is something that will follow us forever whether we like it or not.
    Food looks delicious as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pics, amazing <3

    Love from Sweden

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, or just say hello. Your comments make my day!