Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday Kind Of Love - When I Heard The Learn'd Astronomer by Walt Whitman

When I heard the learn'd astronomer;


When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;


When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and
        measure them;


When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much
        applause in the lecture-room,


How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;


Till rising and gliding out, I wander'd off by myself,



  In the mystical moist night -air,


and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.



Brown Sugar Maple Picard Cookies
modified slightly from this recipe in Bon Appetit December 2000

1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup  real maple syrup, ( the good stuff)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Royal icing for awkward, untrained decoration (optional)

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Then whisk in the maple syrup, the egg, and the vanilla extract until combined. Whisk in the baking powder and the salt, then add the flour and mix until it comes together to form a dough. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (and hour is better).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and remove the dough from the refrigerator. Roll out the dough to about 1/3 inch thickness and cut out the cookies with the cutter. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes depending on how crispy you like your cookies. Enjoy straight from the oven or cooled and decorated. 

Yeild 25 Picards


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think, or just say hello. Your comments make my day!