Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Gettin' Cozy With Sage"


For the third straight day it is deliciously cold dark and rainy and I am drinking it in. I'm getting nights of that goood rain sleep, I've gone on splishy splashy morning runs in my flowered swim cap and I have taken long slow walks to the grocery store in skirts of impractical lengths just so I can feel the rain on my skin.

The downside? It's too dark to take blog pictures. You know, really really.

But I am cooking. I'm always cooking.

Mushroom Soup with Barley and Sage
Originally Cream of Mushroom Soup
Fitness Magazine


1 small onion finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
16 oz mushrooms, sliced
3 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup barley
6 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp dried thyme
3 tbsp fresh sage, minced
1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 c 1% milk
 salt and pepper to taste


Saute the onion and garlic in  two tbsp of olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook over medium heat 10 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 cup barley; cook 2 min. Add 6 cups vegetable broth, thyme and sage, and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes or until barley is cooked. Whisk together 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup milk. Add to soup; simmer 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with fresh grated parmesan. Makes about 5, 2-cup servings.

1 comment:

  1. The thought of rainy morning runs in a swim cap is too cute! And this recipe looks delicious; I think I'll try it on my boyfriend. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, or just say hello. Your comments make my day!