Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"You Say Goodbye, and I Say Hello"



It's mid September, nearly autumn, and while most people are busy choking back sobs as they pack away their flip flops, I  personally (strange girl, maverick) am readying myself for my all time favorite season.

My flip flops honestly have been packed for weeks, and already I'm spelunking the depths of the internet scouting out cute boots and winter coats I don't need. I'm blasting the Beatles (cause it's autumn music. It's true. No! Yes! SHUT UP!) and I'm clearing out disk space for all those golden leaf/blue sky pictures I'll be taking just the second Nashville decides to (FINALLY) pick a season. Autumn and I (despite the allergies) are hardcore awesome bffs there is no denying it.

I know it's nothing new or fancy, that every year the earth will move and the leaves will change and the only difference is my mind, my fantasy and the skip in my step, but all the same I will blast the Beatles, spend hours on Zappos and take eight thousand pictures of leaves like this is a one time deal.








My plants at least seem to be on board with this whole "accepting fall" idea, most of them are getting that droopy look, like they want a robe and a pipe and a nice long bath which sounds like a good idea to me. We're saying our goodbyes (for now) in the most delicious of ways, with soups, and seeds and pestos, and I welcome my little break from gardening, until we meet again in the spring.





Goodbye Summer Pesto with Pecans and Orecchiette


2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup pecans toasted and chopped
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
3 cups steamed broccoli florettes
1lb orecchiette

1.Cook the orechiette according the package directions, drain and set aside.

2.Add basil, garlic, olive oil, pecans and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth. Salt to taste.

3.In a small mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan and the whirled up pesto from the food processor and stir to combine.

4. Add the broccoli florets, and the pesto/ricotta mixture to the hot cooked pasta and gently toss together.
Serve hot topped with an extra little grating of parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

  1. This post makes me smile HUGE teeth baring grins. I too am scouring places for boots, not a jacket b/c I did that at the end of year last year at Burlington. Been there yet? LOVE LOVE LOVE and addicted to it. The one in 100 oaks; haven't been to the one on M'boro road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made a trip to Burlington in ages but I'm totally buzzing to go now that you've mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, or just say hello. Your comments make my day!